Sunday, January 5, 2014

Resolutions: Why only in January?


     With the dawn of a new year, it seems to be a time we all make resolutions to do more, eat less, and change things about our lives we don't like. But there is a problem with this paradigm--at least that's what I've found.  
     By procrastinating making these needed life changing goals until January 1, instead of grabbing the bull by the horns at the time we first recognize these needs in the previous months, we are already establishing yet another bad habit--the very thing most resolutions aim to battle. We are also setting ourselves up for potential failure. It is easy to be caught up in the popular trend of making New Year's resolution, often becoming over zealous in our goals. By mid-February our enthusiasm wanes. By mid-summer we give up or even forget about our resolutions--we'll wait until the new year to change.
     I've found that if I continually make goals throughout the year as different situations arise, and work at them slow and steady, picking myself up and dusting myself as needed, has been much more successful for me than making New Year's resolutions.
    What is your feeling about New Year's resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. Amen Carolyn! this year I resolved to read my book club books every month. I started that in September! And Allen started working on his fitness in August. And, I always joke that I'll set Chinese New Year resolutions, because we've just come off a flurry of celebration, and I want to have some time to think about what I want to work on. January is a good time to do that. But I want my changes to last all year. Good post.

    ReplyDelete