Friday, June 6, 2014

Another Year Older, But Still Kickin'


Today is my birthday. I'm as old as the year I was born. ('57). That will only happen once in my life. Though that is not a major milestone, I always choke up a little (sometimes a lot, but in this case only a little), when something will never happen again, marks the end of an era. When you look at the grand scheme of things, our mortal experience here on this earth is one of a kind--it will never happen again. And it is very short. For this reason, I want to make the most of my life because I love life.

As a person who has always set goals and strives to meet them, I have the goal to live 30 more years. I realize that this particular goal might be slightly out of my hands. But there are some things I can do to increase my odds of success.
* First I will apply one of my most favorite sayings: "work like everything depends on you and pray like everything depends on God." Yep, I'm going to pray that God will grant me a long, healthy life--can't hurt.
*Second, I'm going to do everything I can to maintain good health. I've already started--unfortunately, it took a pair of sore knees to remind me that I wasn't eating right. I've cut out refined foods, especially sugar. My knees and my energy levels are feeling better already. This leads to the ease of accomplishing another goal--take a brisk half hour walk at least 5 times a week.

Aren't birthdays great? They remind us we are getting older, which reminds us we need to take action so that all those previous birthdays don't do us in.

2 comments:

  1. Since we're both in the Gemini birth range, I thought I'd comment here so you know I read this. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt. It's great to get a comment every once in a while on my neglected blog site. :)

      Delete